• Home /
  • News / From the County Group of Labour Councillors

From the County Group of Labour Councillors

NCC Labour Group Statement

The issuing of a section 114 notice clearly shows that the current conservative administration is not fit to govern this County of ours. We have a failed Conservative administration and a Government that does not seem to care about the effect their decisions are having on our communities. 70% of our financial problems are down to the Government austerity cuts, but the NCC Cabinet have to take responsibility for the other 30% which is down to mismanagement and costly decisions.
This has not happened over night- the Labour Group has been warning about our poor financial state for the last 5 years and moved a vote of no confidence in the cabinet only 3 months ago. Today we are told that this current year’s budget is looking at an overspend of £21.1 million.
We have yet to see the results of the Inspectors report, but it is clear that we cannot go on as we are. The Cabinet should resign and let those with the ability take over. In doing so the primary task should be to make sure we are able to carry out our statutory and safeguarding responsibilities towards children and vulnerable adults and then to put together a sustainable financial plan to bring about financial stability for our County.
In contrast to the County, Labour has shown that we can work in partnership on a win win basis and Corby Borough Council is an excellent example of this, building resilience and serving its community.
Councillor Bob Scott
NCC Labour Group Leader

Do you like this post?

Reactions

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.